Mattresses come in a variety of shapes, sizes and materials. Latex mattresses are making a comeback, for a number of reasons. So, if you are in the market for a mattress, here are a few pointers to help make the decision easier. Keep in mind that mattresses made of organic materials cost a lot more than generic ones. Latex Mattresses by sleepmentor.net are good to start with.
Tips to consider before buying:
- Retailers – Do some research on retailers who sell latex mattresses. They would have products that are certified and meet all the requirements set by the Global Organic Latex Standard.
- Brand: Also check to see which brand is most in demand and their source of materials.
- Verify: Make sure that the mattress is made from natural materials and sustainable sources. Countries which supply latex are Malaysia and Sri Lanka.
- Firmness: Dealers usually have mattresses with many levels of firmness. You can try them out at the dealership before purchasing.
What to look for in a mattress
Latex mattresses by by sleepmentor.net are made with sap collected from a rubber tree instead of materials like air, springs, polyester etc. Latex is considered the best as it is not only durable, it is natural and hypoallergenic. This makes for a healthy and eco-friendly product.
Types of Latex:
- Natural latex is made from sap and mattresses entirely of this organic material can be expensive. These are also fairly difficult to find at a retail store. Your best bet is to look for one online.
- Synthetic latex is made in the lab using styrene and surfactants. It looks, feels and behaves exactly like organic latex and is much cheaper. It is also available widely but it doesn’t last as long.
- Blended latex is a mix of 20% organic and 80% synthetic. This type of latex is the most commonly used and offers the best in durability, quality and value for money.
Types of Mattresses
There are 3 distinct categories, each with a unique structure and design. Each one performs differently from the other.
All latex mattresses are what the name indicates – latex through and through. The only addition is a cover which is a flame retardant. Since they are expensive, they are not easy to find. A latex mattress provides good orthopedic support and motion isolation.
Latex over foam mattresses have multiple layers. A thin latex layer is laid over a thick foam base. These are more common and consumers can choose the thickness they like based on their comfort needs. These also help to reduce back problems and isolate motion.
Foam over latex: In this case, a thin layer of foam is laid over a thick latex base. In a mattress with multiple layers, latex is sandwiched between a foam top and base to increase comfort and durability.
As you can see, even though latex mattresses are made with an organic material, there are different combinations and comfort levels. It is fine to buy and use combination mattresses based on one’s budget and needs.